A water leak at home is not something that anyone wants, but if the worst happens, it is imperative to get it repaired as soon as possible. That might not be as easy as it sounds, with most water leaks having no visible clues as to their location, and if this is something you know little about, here are some important things you can do to localise the damage caused by leaking pipes.
- A Visual Inspection – Check along ceiling and floor lines for damp patches, as this is a sign of a water leak behind the wall. Other places to look are under kitchen and bathroom sinks, which are usually housed in a small compartment. Aside from the visual inspection, you might want to find out if you have any leaks, and if you are in Western Australia, there will be a plumber in Perth offering leak detection services, and with a round the clock emergency service, they can quickly evaluate your plumbing system.
- Damp Areas Outside – If you have puddles in the garden, this could be a sign of a water leak. Rather than digging holes where you think it might be, there are modern leak detection services that can source any leak without causing damage.
- Check All Faucets – Leaking taps can cause damage to ceramic and stainless steel links, not to mention the water that is being wasted. Corrosion is a major factor and if any surface is constantly wet, there will be some discolouration at the very least.
- Guttering – Although this is not technically part of the plumbing, it does channel away excess rainwater, and if the guttering is blocked for any reason, whenever it rains heavily, lots of water will be running down your walls, and this can cause a lot of damage.
- Check the Water Meter – This is a very accurate way to know if you have a water leak, and the process is as follows. First make sure all of the taps are off, and any appliances that draw water are turned off, then take meter reading, and wait for one hour, and read the meter one more time. If the reading is different, you have a leak somewhere.
- Call in a Plumber – Whether you can find the source of the leak or not, you should call a plumber, who would have the latest technology in leak detection, and once the leak has been sourced, they can quickly repair it. Leaking water can cause a lot more damage if the problem is not immediately addressed, and by using the services of a reliable local tradesperson, your plumbing problems will be a thing of the past.
Leaking pipes cause damage, and if you are vigilant and know what to look for, you can reduce the chances of having to make an emergency call to a plumber. In the event this cannot be avoided, make sure it is a reputable company that is local.