A-frame ladders are very popular ladders. They are heavy duty aluminum ladders, but with a very specific purpose, which is to elevate the user up to four feet off the ground. It also has wider steps, which makes the ladder more stable. An added benefit is that they fold together, which makes them very easy to store.
What Is an A-Frame Ladder?
A-frame ladders are affordable options for people who look for something to use around the home. Because they elevate up to four feet, people should be able to reach just about any fixture in your home. The ladder has two sides that are of equal length, with a crossbar that keeps everything together. This is from where it gets its name, as it actually looks like an A. Using A-frame ladders is very easy, and reasonably safe. However, it is important that you do follow all the necessary safety tips as well.
How to Use an A-Frame Ladder Safely
- Only position the ladder on even surfaces, and never place them on top of a different object.
- Make sure the foot pads are adjusted so that the ladder has completely even and level contact with the ground.
- Only climb ladders when you wear proper footwear. After some use, the rungs, can become oily or wet, which means they could be slippery.
- Check that there are no dents or cracks in the ladder before you use it. Aluminum is a durable material, but if it does break anywhere, it tends to break completely.
- Lock the ladders brace so that it is completely stable. This will prevent the ladder from collapsing while in use.
- Make sure you understand the maximum workload of your vehicle, and never exceed that weight when using it.
- Check for OSHA ANSI A 14.2 compliance, as this means the ladder meets the relevant safety standards.
- Check what the ladder’s material is. Aluminum is the best and most common, but some A-frame ladders are made from wood or fiberglass. Each of these materials has its own pros and cons. Aluminum is preferred for a reason (it is safe, durable, and lightweight), so try to stick with that as much as possible. Aluminum ladders are also much easier to store.
- Do not climb onto the top two steps of your A-frame ladder. These rungs are there to give the top of the ladder stability, not to carry your weight. Being too high up can render the whole thing very unstable. And of course if you are pregnant never climb a ladder.
- Do not get anything stuck behind the rungs as you are using the ladders.
With Christmas just around the corner, many people use A-frame ladders to hang up their Christmas lights. The ladder lends itself perfectly to that. However, make sure you always keep your safety in mind, which means engaging in the right behavior when using a ladder. This is true regardless of what you are doing with the ladder itself.