Do you have what it takes to become an architect? This is one of the most common dream jobs for many people. Why not? It is a great, fulfilling, and respectable profession and the pay is very good too. However, this is not just for everyone. There are certain qualities that are required to become a good architect.
We will discuss here some qualities that good architects usually possess. Discover if you have what it takes to become an architect and if you can indeed score one of the most prestigious architecture jobs in the market.
- Excellent sense of design – a good architect has great eye for design and details that they can easily translate ideas onto papers to present to the clients and builders. A good architect can create design just by listening and thinking of ideas.
- Good communication skills – they are good with communicating their ideas, thoughts, and plans. Architects deal with clients and builders so it is important for them to convey the message well and accurately.
- Great listening skills – and to have great communication skills they also need to be good listeners. They must be willing to listen to the ideas of the clients and other people around them. By listening carefully, they are able to come up with great design based on those ideas that was pitched to them.
- Strong drawing skills – a great architect must also have strong drawing or sketching skills to provide accurate plan and design. They should be able to draw by hand or using computer.
- Solid technical abilities – architecture can be very technical too so a great architect must have solid technical abilities to incorporate structural, mechanical, and electrical elements into their design for it to be functional and successful.
- Problem-solver – another quality of a good architect is the ability to solve problems quickly. They know immediately how to address the problem and come up with a possible solution. They are equipped with plans A-Z in case something wrong happens. Sometimes, they even sense the problem before it happens. That’s how good and prepared they are.
- Good collaborator – architects usually work with different people from other architects to engineers, builders, investors, and clients. They need to communicate well and collaborate well for the success of their project.
- A visionary – a good architect can visualize well the outcome of a project starting with the plan.
- Great passion in their works –the work of an architect is not simple. They embody their work and they have strong passion about coming up with great projects.
- Competitive – of course they are competitive as well. This is important to be able to stay in the game. Architecture is a very competitive field. This is not for those with weak heart and character.
Many people want to become an architect. It offers great pay but more than the financial side, it is the passion and love for your work that should matter all the time.
If you are dreaming to become an architect someday then be sure to hone your skills while you are still young.
So, do you think you have the skills and qualities to become a good architect?