The home industry in Malaysia continues to evolve with new ideas emerging to make the homes smarter and energy-efficient. In addition to home automation, one of the biggest trends is the installation of solar panels to power home systems.
Malaysia is a hot country most of the year and this necessitates efficient air conditioning around the year. Using conventional air conditioners means reliance on the grid system, which can rack up your power bill. Air conditioners are the biggest consumer of electricity in Malaysian homes and this is where cheaper, cleaner solar air conditioning comes in handy.
Table of Contents
Why Solar Air Conditioning?
Using a solar air conditioner for your home offers myriad benefits, including:
- Clean and more efficient energy
- Cost savings
- Reliable power supply without disruptions
- Low maintenance systems
- Boosting your home’s value
- Lower installation costs and availability of solar tax incentive for businesses
Most people have become accustomed to grid-powered air conditioners for the longest time. The first question they ask is whether solar air conditioning is available in the country. The answer is a resounding yes! But why?
Readily Available Sunlight
The ready availability of sunlight, solar-powered air conditioning is now a popular trend. The country enjoys an average of 2228 hours of sunlight per year with an average of 6:06 of sunlight per day. Kuala Lumpur registers 2222 hours of sunshine during the year. This makes solar-powered home systems viable across the country.
Advances in Solar Energy Technology
Advances in renewable energy and government support have boosted the growth of the solar energy industry. Solar energy companies now manufacture high quality photovoltaic solar panels, inverters, solar power storage systems and other solar system components locally.
It’s also easy to access technology from the leading brands in the world through your Malaysia-based solar installer. If you have any doubts about the availability of solar air conditioning in the country, talk to an established solar installation company to learn the solutions available for you.
Breaking Down Solar Air Conditioning
It’s most likely that you have a typical split system in your home. This conventional air conditioner relies on electricity from the grid to keep your home cool. If there’s power disruption, you’ll have a hard time staying indoors, especially in the hotter months such as March.
Solar air conditioning is an alternative solution where, instead of using electricity from the mains, the solar air con uses the sun’s energy.
You can choose from the following main solar air conditioners:
- Solar thermal hybrid system: This system utilizes the energy from the solar collector panels to assist the compressor. This system still requires a source of electricity.
- Evaporative solar-powered conditioners: This solar-powered air con eliminates a compressor and instead uses a heat exchanger. The power required to power the fans, chillers, and hot water pumps comes from the solar panels installed on your roof.
- Solar PV hybrid system: This is a solar air conditioner in Malaysia which uses photovoltaic technology. Sun energy is converted into electricity to power the motor and the fans. There’s also a storage component in this system which means you can go fully off-grid.
When choosing the best solar air con for your home, your installation company will discuss the two overall options available.
The off-grid solar system can run independently without grid support. It comprises solar panels, inverters as well as batteries to store excess power.
On the other hand, you can opt for an on-grid solar system consisting of solar panels and an inverter. Your appliances will not run if there’s no electricity. You need high kVA inverters to handle high loads and a larger number of solar panels if your home’s power usage is high.
Factors to Consider With Solar Air Conditioning
Many households who would benefit from solar air conditioners in the country don’t have enough information about these systems. This technology is readily available and you only have to consider the following:
- Home’s electricity usage: This helps determine the number of solar panels/size of the system.
- Government approvals: Your solar installer will guide you on any approvals and licenses required to install solar systems in your area.
- Rooftop space: You have to access available roof space and direction of the roof. This helps find the best solar air conditioner in Malaysia for your home.
- Warranty: Look for an extended warranty for your solar air conditioner to enjoy lower maintenance costs.
- Find the best solar installer: Don’t compromise on experience and certification when shopping for a solar air conditioner installer in your area. Read reviews and testimonials, get several quotes and do background checks for any company you want to use.
- Talk to your neighbors for referrals and recommendations
Solar air conditioning is available in 2020 across Malaysia. Now that you understand how it works and the benefits, go ahead and partner with the most qualified solar installer. It’s the best way to harness the power of solar for your home’s air conditioning.